SIXTH GRADE READING LIST, SUMMER, 2019
The Hatchet by Gary Paul
Notes: You may take notes on the book you are reading, in fact,
if you are reading early in the summer (June or July) it
is strongly suggested that you take notes in order to
remember all the main events of the book.
Remember, you will be tested on this book in September .
VOCABULARY ASSIGNMENT: As you do your summer reading,
make a list of the vocabulary words you are not familiar with. Then,
look up and write the definitions of those words. Try to compose
a list of 50 words and their definitions. A minimum of at least 40
vocabulary words is required.
In addition to HATCHET , you are to choose ONE PERSONAL CHOICE BOOK. The book may be from the list below OR your own personal choice book. Remember: The book must be on the SIXTH grade reading level or above. You will make an oral presentation on this book.
TOTAL BOOKS TO BE READ: AT LEAST TWO BOOKS.
Although you have to read only two books for school, you should still read at least two or three additional books. Reading skills drop in the summer if you don't read. Keep your comprehension skills strong and READ!!!
Suggested Reading List:
1. City of Embers, by Lois Lowery
2. Holes, by Louis Sachar
3. The Artemis Fowel Series, by Eoin Colfer
4. My Side of the Mountain, by Jean Craighead George
5. Island of the Blue Dolphins, by Scott O’Dell
6. The Pearl, by John Steinbeck
8. The Incredible Journey, by Shelia Bumford
9. Sounder, by William Armstronghantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster
10. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis
Links to Grade 6 Science and Math: