Second Grade Required Summer Reading List 2019-2020:
1. Junie B. Jones series, by Barbara Park
2. Flat Stanley, by, Jeff Brown
3. Frog and Toad are Friends, by, Jane Yolen
Second Grade Suggested Summer Reading List
1. Magic Tree House Series, by, Mary Pope Osborne
2. The Tortise and the Hare, by, Stevens
3. Frog and Toad series, by Jane Yolen
4. Amelia Bedelia, by, Peggy Parish
5. Big Anthony and the Magic Lesson, by, Tomie DePaola
6. The Magic School Bus series
7. Henry and Mudge and the Big Sleepover, by, Cynthia Rylant
8. The Amazing Bone, by, William Steig
9. Iris and Walter series, by Elissa Haden Guest
10. T is for Touchdown: A Football Alphabet, by, Brad Herzog
11. Danny and the Dinosaur, by, Sid Hoff
12. Any of the “Easy Reader” labeled books
13. The Hit-away Kid, by, Matt Christopher
This is just a short list of suggestions available for your student’s reading. However, the three required reading should be read before the first day of school.
It is requested that your student reads at least an hour a day; magazines, newspapers, picture books, coffee table books, comics, and maps are all sources for reading! Weekly trips to the library offer your students an opportunity to select books and grow comfortable in the library. Invite conversation about the books your student reads, ask about the characters, the plot, the genre. Encouraging your student to read, can make reading become a life time skill and habit!
Remember our 1500 minute challenge and 100 book challenge log for the summer! You can do it!