Strengthening faith, Enlightening minds, Transforming hearts, one student at a time.
2018 NATIONAL BLUE RIBBON SCHOOL OF EXCELLENCE
Grades & Honors
Kindergarten Summer Book List: 2019-2020
This book list is divided in to three sections:
The first section is a list of books that you could read to your child in order to get them excited about reading. These titles have a more interesting story line than others, and have wonderful illustrations.
The second section is a list of alphabet books. These are important because they reinforce letter recognition skills and phonemic awareness, which is a part of the kindergarten curriculum.
The third section is a list of books with repetitive or predictive text. This type of literature allows your child to participate in the reading and will build their confidence so that they will begin to “read” the books to you through memorization!
Read Aloud Books:
1. Timothy Goes To School by Rosemary Wells
2. Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
3. Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
4. Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph Slate
1. Chicka, Chicka by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault
2. Prairie Primer A to Z by Caroline Stutson
3. Firefighters from A to Z by Chris Demarest
4. Into the A, B, Sea: An Ocean Alphabet by Deborah Lee Rose
5. ABC, I Like Me! By Nancy Carlson
1. Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Bill Martin Jr.
2. I Went Walking by Sue Williams
3. I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly by Simms Taback
4. Is Your Mama a Llama? By Deborah Guarino
Recommended Authors (other than the ones above):
Ezra Jack Keats Eric Carle Dr. Seuss
Eve Bunting Margaret W. Brown Frank Asch
Joy Cowley Arnold Lobel Jonathan London