INCOMING EIGHTH GRADERS: Please purchase the following book: Peterson's,
Master the Catholic High School Entrance Exams 2019. Make sure you get the new edition
that says 2019! I purchased it in Barnes and Noble for @$20, but I saw it on Amazon prime for
@$13. Arrange to have this book for class in the second week of September.
REMEMBER: THIS BOOK WILL BE USED IN C.LASS; IT IS NOT FOR SUMMERTIME PRACTICE .
If you want to take practice tests for the HSPT during the summer, there are a variety
of good High School entrance books with practice tests in reading, English and math, and they
may be used as practice tests to improve your skills.
Grade 8: Read the two required books. TIP: Look for reading
comprehension practice test tips on-line OR obtain an old or used
copy of an HSPT book (obviously NOT THE ONE LISTED ABOVE, which
we will work on in class together in the Fall)
Take the reading practice tests/exercises that you find on-line or in older
book and see if you can work on some weaknesses you may have. This
will also build on your strengths as well.
Tuesdays With Morrie : Mitch Albom
TOTAL BOOKS REQUIRED: Two books
Tests: The Five People You Meet in Heaven or Tuesdays With Morrie and The Outsiders.
8th Grade Suggested Summer Reading List. These books are suggested for those who want to read
additional books beside what is required. Remember: The more you read, the more your comprehension
skills will increase.
1. The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien
2. The Chosen, by Chaim Potok
3. The Pigman, by Paul Zindel
4. The Chocolate War, by Robert Cormier
5. The Watsons Go to Birmingham 1963, by C.P. Curtis
6. Across Five Aprils, by Irene Hunt
7. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
8. The Old Man and the Sea, by Ernest Hemmingway
9. A Separate Peace, by John Knowles
10. Rebecca, by Daphne duMaurier
11. Tuesdays with Morrie, by Mitch Albom
12. The Little Women Series, by Louisa May Alcott
13. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith
14. The Good Earth, by Pearl Buck
Links to Grade 8 Science, Reading, and Math: